You can make these without the chocolate and cherry if you want. Substitute cinnamon and sugar and pecans or maybe some fresh raspberries and whipped cream... even just plain with powdered sugar is a fantastic breakfast or at the very least a breakfast side dish.
Popovers should be eaten warm right from the oven. Timing is important when you're serving these so be sure you have your other dishes on a schedule that will allow these to be served straight from the oven.
If you're like my friend and love pinterest and delicious food then follow me on pinterest so see all my recipes and posts! :) Follow Me.
Chocolate Cherry Popover Recipe
yields 12 popovers
1 cup flour
1/4 t. salt
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 T. butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. almond extract
2/3 cup cherry preserves
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1) Place an empty muffin tin in the oven and set to preheat to 450 degrees. Do not spray the muffin tin.
2) In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the butter** and milk. Whisk in both eggs and the almond extract.
**Be sure the butter has been allowed to cool to room temperature or else it will seize up in the milk. If it does seize then heat the butter and milk mixture in a sauce pan over low heat until the butter melts again and allow the milk to cool to room temperature before adding the eggs.
3) Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt into the bowl with the liquid ingredients until just blended, a few lumps are okay.
4) Remove the hot pan from the oven and quickly spray the interior of each cup as well as the top rim of the pan with cooking spray. Distribute the batter evenly into each of the 12 cups filling each one up about 1/2 way with batter.
5) Bake the popovers in the 450 degree oven for 30 minutes *without opening the door*. Seriously, leave it closed. I know you want to peak but don't. Turn on the light if you must but don't open that door! The popovers "pop" due to steam in the batter and opening the door helps that steam to escape.
6) Turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue to bake for an addition 12-15 minutes or until the popovers become a golden brown color on the outside.
7) Quickly slice the popovers in half and fill the hole in the middle with the cherry preserves and drizzle with melted chocolate. The perfect brunch dessert! :)