Pumpkin Scone Recipe
yields 8 scones
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
8 T. butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 T. vanilla
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl or food processor combine the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
2) Add the chunks of butter and process until the mixture resembles a course meal. If you don’t have a food processor then you can use a pastry cutter or fork to mash the butter into small pieces in the flour, much like you would for pie dough.
3) Add the pumpkin puree to the mixture and process quickly. Add the vanilla and whole milk in a steady stream and process until the dough comes together in a ball. If not using a food processor, incorporate the pumpkin, whole milk, and vanilla into the mixture slowly being careful not to over mix the dough. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
4) Form the dough into a large ball and roll out into a 8-9 inch circle on a floured surface. Using a pizza cutter or knife cut the dough into 8 evenly sized slices. Place slices on a greased baking sheet and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until the scones are lightly browned.
Pumpkin Scone Glaze Recipe
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 T. milk
1/4 t. vanilla
1 t. pumpkin puree
1/4 t. pumpkin pie spice
1) Combine sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla in a bowl and mix well until combined. Reserve 3 T. of the glaze mixture in a separate bowl off to the side.
2) Pour the non-reserved glaze over the scones evenly.
3) Add the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice to the reserved glaze. Drizzle over the top of the glazed biscuits in a fun pattern.
Looking for other ways to use pumpkin? Try my lightened up pumpkin bread recipe: