If you’re not a banana or peanut butter fan you can definitely substitute those with a fruit you do like. Maybe applesauce and apple pie spices or cherries and almond paste. You really can use about anything you like to flavor this base recipe so go ahead and experiment. If you make something great leave a comment and I’ll make it too – I can never have too much granola around the house! 🙂
Peanut Butter Banana Granola
1 very ripe medium banana, mashed (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
2 T. canola oil
1 t. vanilla extract
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup puffed rice cereal (I used Cocoa Krispies)
3/4 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1/4 t. cardamom (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2) Combine banana, peanut butter, honey, canola oil, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. If your mixture is still a little chunky from the banana toss it in the food processor or blender until it is smooth.
3) In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients and toss until well combined.
4) Pour the peanut butter banana mixture on top of the dry ingredients and mix well until the dry mixture is evenly coated.
5) Divide mixture onto 2 rimmed 9×13 baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes. Stirring it every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
Looking for more breakfast options? Check out these recipes:
|Bacon Cheddar Date Scones|
|Peanut Butter Cup Banana Bread|